Job Title: Code Enforcement Officer
Department: Police Department
Position Type: Part-Time
Hours worked per week: 20
The Town of Colmar Manor is seeking candidates for a part-time Code Enforcement Officer position. Our vision is to promote and maintain a safe and desirable living and working environment known as an attractive, pleasant, and safe place to live, raise families, work, and retire. We strive to maintain and improve the quality of our community by administering fair and unbiased enforcement of local ordinances, correcting violations, and reducing conditions that adversely affect the quality of life of our residents, businesses, and guests. The ideal candidate will work to educate and motivate our residents and business owners through meetings, public announcements, and handouts to seek voluntary compliance.
Applicants should send a cover letter, resume, and references to Greg Holcomb, Town Administrator, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Essential Job Functions:
- Respond to calls and investigate complaints of code and ordinance violations within the Town,
- Identify code violations and issue notices of violation and citations for said violation(s),
- Provide information and assistance to community members, commercial interests, and businesses regarding code enforcement issues,
- Patrol the towns to remove illegally placed signs and identify and address code violations,
- Electronically enter and retrieve information from the computer(s) in order to perform research, update records, process case documentation, and/or respond to actions and requests,
- Complete case documentation and incident reports, compile supporting documentation to document and explain facts and circumstances surrounding the violation(s) in a case management system,
- Testify in courtroom settings or other legal proceedings to ensure that complete and correct information is related to all participants; administer and manage cases for docket, and file or provide pleadings, exhibits, and depositions to the court in cooperation with other officials,
- Inspect properties to determine compliance with various codes:
Inspect properties to enforce compliance with codes governing high grass, weeds, accumulations of trash and vermin infestations, posting and removal of inoperable or unregistered vehicles,
Inspects for hazardous conditions or nuisances such as abandoned vehicles, discarded piles of building materials, etc.,
Perform inspections and re-inspections of residential and commercial rental properties to verify life safety requirements,
Monitor home construction/renovations, fence installations/repairs, and related activities for building permit compliance,
Investigate construction work being performed without required permits and issue a “Stop Work” order on the property until required building permits are obtained,
Investigate animal nuisances; educate the owners about animal ordinances, issue citations if needed
Enforce parking regulations by issuing tickets, and
Perform other related duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications: High School diploma or GED; supplemented by one-year previous experience in Code Enforcement or similar enforcement function; or an equivalent combination of education, training, and/or experience; valid driver's license.
Must submit to a criminal history background check, and physical examination.
Physical Requirements: While performing the essential functions of this job, the incumbent is regularly required to lift, move or carry objects up to 25 pounds; maintain body equilibrium to prevent falling when walking, standing, crouching, or navigating surfaces; move about on hands and knees or hands and feet
While performing the essential functions of this position the employee is frequently exposed to fumes, odors, or airborne particles, excessive noise, temperature extremes, vehicular traffic, dampness/humidity, confrontational persons, animals, and various forms of wildlife.
Work Hours: Flexible with occasional evenings/weekends expected